Colorado Bluebird Project
To improve the vitality of bluebird populations throughout the State of Colorado, and to inform and educate the public about bluebirds.
The Colorado Bluebird Project is now on Facebook! Post photos, stories, facts and tips on everything bluebird. We realize not everyone is on Facebook, but if you are, look for us the next time you’re on Facebook!
- Locate all existing nestbox trails (a single box can constitute a trail) within Colorado
- Determine which trails are monitored and which are unattended
- Recruit volunteers to monitor trails that are currently unattended
- Encourage installation and monitoring of new nestbox trails in suitable habitat throughout Colorado
- Encourage year-end reporting of monitoring results to the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology www.nestwatch.org
- Encourage ‘networking’ among bluebird enthusiasts all across Colorado
- Encourage bluebird enthusiasts to join the North American Bluebird Society
- Provide low-cost nestboxes to anyone wishing to install them in suitable habitat and monitor them; both kits and completed boxes are available
- Provide education and access to information to anyone interested in learning about bluebirds
- Provide support to those who want to further the goals of the Project
How We Are Doing It
- Database showing all known nestbox trails in Colorado, their status, and who is responsible for them
- Matching service to connect volunteer monitors to unmonitored trails
- CBPKevin@aol.com for questions, inquiries or comments concerning the Project
- Moderated Google Group, “Bluebird-Babble,” to share experiences, observations, problems, questions, etc., concerning anything of interest about bluebirds.To subscribe:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You don’t need anything in the Subject or the body.
- You’ll get an email reply message that asks you to either reply to that message (stay with me here) or click on the block that says “join this group”.
- Simply hit your email ‘reply’ button and send it.
- You’ll then get a confirmation email that says you’re a member of the bluebird-babble group.
- Free, one-hour program for any group interested in establishing a nestbox trail that covers basics of the birds’ natural history including nesting, incubation and fledging cycles; predator and problem controls; and guidance for installing, monitoring and reporting results for a nestbox trail
- Construct nestboxes for sale to the public in either kit or preassembled form – proceeds from the sales fund materials to build more nestboxes and also support ASGD programs
- Maintain this website to provide information and access to more comprehensive links, the Project’s email and listserv addresses
Interested in getting involved?
Contact us at CBPKevin@aol.com and we’ll get you started!