The ASGD Conservation Committee keeps an “eagle eye” on governmental policies and actions that affect the South Platte watershed, areas throughout the state of Colorado, and selected federal legislation.
The ASGD Conservation Committee provides support to Denver-area residents and activist groups to protect local natural areas, birds, and other wildlife. Assistance ranges from providing advice and guidance to writing letters and testifying at hearings. If you need help with an environmental issue in your neighborhood, contact Polly Reetz or Ann Bonnell by email.
The Committee also promotes conservation campaigns in the Denver-metro area that support bird populations and safety as listed on Issues and Campaigns.
Get Involved & Be Active!
“Getting Green Laws” – Environmental Topics in the Colorado Legislature (Sierra Club Denver Metro Network, co-sponsor)
This workshop every February introduces participants to issues and bills facing the current state legislature. Activists from both groups network on how to best contact legislators, which legislators are major players, how to effectively communicate with them, and how they can win support for environmental positions on the “hot” bills.
Join the ASGD Conservation Committee and Get Active!
The committee typically meets on the second Tuesday of most odd numbered months at 7pm. Meeting locations vary. Please contact committee chairperson, Polly Reetz by email for more information.
- Monitors legislation, government policies and actions at the local, state and national levels
- Alerts ASGD members when action is needed through the Conservation column in the Warbler newsletter and an e-mail distribution list (members without e-mail can be added to a volunteer phone tree for alerts).
- Participates in the Colorado Division of Wildlife’s (CDOW) environmental roundtable discussions.
- Comments on federal actions that affect our priority areas – the Cherry Creek and Chatfield Basins, the Pike/San Isabel National Forest, Rocky Mountain National Park and wildlife refuges.
- Contributes to the Audubon Colorado lobbyist fund that hires a professional lobbyist to represent Audubon at the Colorado state legislature. This person is one of only two pro-environmental lobbyists working on state issues!