- This event has passed.
Raptor Photo Workshop
October 7, 2019 @ 3:00 pm – October 11, 2019 @ 11:00 am
Join Denver Audubon, HawkQuest, and award-winning photographer Cheryl Opperman for a one-of-a-kind workshop on photographing raptors designed to help you master bird photography.
Cheryl will be happy to personally answer questions about this class. Please don’t hesitate to phone her at (303) 829-9453 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Why enroll in this workshop?
- You will receive personal attention from you instructor Cheryl, whose formal training and 25 years of experience have earned her multiple awards for photographing birds and nature.
- You will receive plenty of individual instructor attention due to the small class size, which is limited to 12 students.
- Over the course of the workshop, you will photograph over 10 different species of raptors in a variety of settings.
- You will attend bird photography and image processing classes daily.
- Proceeds will support conservation, education, and outreach programs to protect these beautiful birds.
Detailed objectives of the class include:
- Evaluating and modifying light for bird photography including the use of flash
- Selecting shutter speeds to stop or intentionally blur action
- Ensuring adequate depth of field
- Improving your response time so you are always ready to capture the action
- Selecting exposure, including the exposure triangle, best exposure modes, and evaluating the histogram
- Using customizable camera settings for bird photography
- Choosing effective compositions and eliminating distractions
- Anticipating bird behavior
- Finding and photographing birds in the wild
- Digital processing techniques to optimize your images
About Cheryl Opperman
Cheryl Opperman’s degree from Brooks Institute of Photography plus over two decades of real-world experience make her one of the most skilled nature photographers today.
Whether you are just beginning to learn photography or have been taking pictures for years, Cheryl is passionate about sharing her knowledge to help you discover new techniques, develop your own unique style, and reach your full photographic potential.
Examples of Cheryl’s bird photography from around the world (note: these are not images of HawkQuest birds)
Cheryl was featured as a leading female nature photographer by Outdoor Photographer Magazine and has received numerous prestigious awards from organizations including The Earth Day Network, Nature’s Best Photography, the International Photography Awards, and the National Wildlife Federation.
Her work has also appeared in publications or exhibits for The American Humane Association, the National Geographic Society, the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, and many others. For more information about Cheryl and to see more of her work, please visit her website.
Students in this workshop will photograph HawkQuest’s raptors at close range. HawkQuest is a Colorado nonprofit, tax-exempt 501(c)3 charitable organization. HawkQuest’s encourages participatory education, allowing the audience to experience their beautiful birds at close range. Their goal is to educate in a fun and meaningful way while creating an atmosphere that fosters respect for our land and stewardship of all living things.
Kin Quitugua founded HawkQuest in 1986 and, ever since, has dedicated himself to educating the public about how raptors fit into the ecology. Kin has been nationally recognized for combining education with ecological concerns, and he has appeared on local and national television programs. Kin also serves as a consultant to organizations that promote the welfare of birds of prey.
All of the raptors at HawkQuest are non-releasable due either to imprinting or injuries. For more information about Kin and HawkQuest, please visit their website.
Pricing Packages (Per Person Rates)
- $2750 Includes class, meals, and local transport (excludes lodging)
- $2995 Includes class, meals, local transport, and lodging (double occupancy)
- $3245 Includes class, meals, local transport, and lodging (single occupancy)